Monday, August 27, 2007

Sea & sea DX-1G

The new sea&sea DX-1G seems to be available now. it sells for about $1k USD in adorama.com and bhphotovideo.com, which includes camera and housing. good things about it that i can see:

  1. wide angle at 24
  2. housing looks nice, can attach wide angle and macro lenses to it directly, and has twin fiber optic cable connectors/sockets on it
  3. hotshoe
  4. RAW
  5. possible to use a weird LED flash on the hotshoe and use that to drive external strobes (zero recycle time)
  6. can use standard AAA batteries as well

bad things about it that i can see:
  1. expensive, very expensive. almost double the price of a nikon P5000 in a fantasea. for the price of a sea&sea DX-1G you can get a nikon p5000, a fantasea housing, and a fisheye wet lens.
  2. the camera (which seems to be something like the ricoh GX100) does not seem to be getting good reviews in general. here is a review from dpreview.com that gives it an overall rating of just recommended. some problems with the camera according to dpreview.com were the following:
    • high noise levels, high ISO unusable
    • Very slow focus in macro mode in low light (also at the long end of the zoom but who cares about that)
    • highlight clipping

Camera options (for me) at the time are the following:
  • sea&sea DX-1G, $1000 USD
  • Nikon P5000 in a fantasea housing about 550USD
  • new just announced nikon P5100- seems to have the exact same body as P5000 so should fit in the same fantasea housing
  • Canon G9 in an ikelite housing $1200 USD (i guess) plus extra 85USD for the shorter ikelite port if the whole setup is similar to the G7
  • Olympus E-410 or 510 (dSLR) in an olympus housing $1700 USD
I think the nikon p5000/5100 is the best choice for a compact camera at the time.

3 comments:

David Vize said...

after quite some mental struggling I gave up and just bought a sea & Sea DX-1G. I might have done better to buy overseas for price but life goes on. I have only just got a hold of it, so will whip through your blog for more references. Keen to see how you found it with a strobe at night. Pics on my blog are obviously just beginner shots, wish me luck.

taso viglas said...

hi david,
sounds great, i would be very interested to see pictures with this camera- i ended up buying a canon G7 sometime back, and i'm happy with it but there are many features on the sea&sea i wish i had (better housing, wide lens, etc)

do you have a link to your blog? i'd be interested to see how you like the camera.
i'm especially interested to see how the camera works on macro with its own flash.

David Vize said...

So you got a G7?? I was contemplating the G9 as it seems about the same in many respects.
Looking at the price list for DSLR setups shown in this blog, I now think I WAY overpaid, but I am in Australia. I think I paid about AUS$3500 without pelican case, if I werent in a hurry I might have got it overseas for quite a bit less especially at current exchange rates.

My apologies, I thought my post would link to my blog. davidvize.blogspot.com

Given my enthusiasm (high) and laziness (Also high) and access to net while on the expedition (Unknown), you should see more pics coming through around the end of this month.