Thursday, August 2, 2007

servicing regulators: ok i dont get this


even if i wanted to make sure my regulators were serviced often (say every 2-3 years) why would I ever service them? it makes no sense, given that my regulators are not terribly expensive, and i'm very happy with them.

i bought my oceanic gt3 regulator (first second stage) for about 270AUD delivered. actually it was less than that, but if i had ordered just that one set of regulators that would be the price with shipping.

getting it serviced would be around 200AUD. what the .... ?

why on earth would i ever do that?? i would guess i can sell it on ebay for more than 100AUD. add to that the 200AUD i would pay for servicing it, that's a new regulator set. not only do i get a new/"serviced" regulator, i also contribute to satisfying my buy-new-dive-stuff appetite.

why would i ever service my regulators?

so there are two things i could do:

  1. never service my regulators. every now and then open them up and ... close them back again without doing anything. i think this seems to be the experienced diver's choice. this is called "servicing my own regulators". to be more precise, "servicing my own regulators" is a bit more involved: first download service manuals and instructions from the web. then open and close your regs without doing anything to them and, of course, ignore the service manuals.
  2. every year-and-a-half buy a new set of regulators and sell an old one. i have two sets of regulators; so i would need to replace each set every 3 years. this would probably get me a reasonable price on ebay. with a replacement cost of say $300, $100+ recovered from selling regs on ebay, thats about $130/year or so on regulator "service". of course i could replace my regulators much less frequently but that wouldnt help enough with my buying-dive-stuff condition.
i will go with choice (2) for now.




No comments: